Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 1-2: On the Road Again!

Welcome to my blog! I have never done a blog before and I don't know how interesting this blog will be so bear with me! With this blog I will keep all my friends and family up to date with my travels. I hope to post some pictures from time to time as well!

Throughout travel season I will be going to both College Fairs and Private High School Visits so I will have a little of both. If you are not familiar with the Admissions Counselor position, basically my job during travel season is to promote R-MC and ultimately get prospective students to visit campus. Being that this is my first travel season I am sure it will be interesting, gaining great experiences and learning a lot! I have already learned so much about myself and what I can handle haha...being in a car by yourself for hours on end will do that to you! :)

Well my first stop was in Charlotte, NC for an Independent Schools Fair. The drive there wasn't bad only I drove straight through 5 1/2 hours because I was paranoid I was going to be late. I thought that I would at least stop for some coffee along the way...HUGE disappointment! I drove all the way from Richmond to Charlotte and there wasn't a single Starbucks on the way! I couldn't believe it! So I decided I should just drive straight through. Like I said the drive wasn't too bad and I made it to the Fair with plenty of time. It was at a beautiful hotel! The fair was huge, expecting somewhere around 2,000 students coming through! It was spread out among three floors of the hotel. I had a number of hits from students which was really positive!

For all those R-MC grads you will appreciate this... After I had finished setting up my table and was talking to some other counselors this guy came up and introduced himself to me...almost as if I should already know who he is. He introduced himself and then said he thought he would at least "be an adult" and "break the ice" It wasn't until he said, "I'm from Hampden Sydney" Then I realized what he was doing. I just started laughing! I appreciated his effort but I did have to turn my nose up at him a bit! He said he figured we'd be seeing a lot of each other over the next couple weeks so we might as well get it over with. I agreed! He was very nice. Gotta love that good ole southern rivalry!
So after the fair I drove to my first hotel, checked-in, and then prepared for my first meal by myself. Not that bad if you bring a book or enjoy people watching! Then I ended my first day of travel in a huge king sized bed!! Not too bad if I do say so myself!

Day 2 started off with another Charlotte College Fair, only this time it was the Charlotte Public Schools. Our school had never actually been to this fair before so I figured I would go out on a limb and see what kind of response we could get from it. I was pleasantly surprised! I actually had a fair amount of people coming up to my table asking questions. It was located at the UNC Charlotte campus in the basketball stadium which was pretty cool...we had tons of space!

My most interesting prospective student I had come up was actually an 8th grader!!! At first I was like, awe that's cute, but he actually started asking some great questions! He was just this little professional with a firm hand shake! It made me laugh a bit. After the fair I headed on my way to Fayetteville which was a bit of a long drive but very scenic! It's crazy that it is only the beginning of September and already things are changing! It was a really beautiful drive! Tomorrow starts my first day of private high school visits and then it’s back to Charlotte. I hope those go as well as the last two days!

1 comment:

  1. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BLOG! I love your stories too!!! I can't wait to see pictures of the places you visit and what your booth looks like! If you get a chance, and when you're not paranoid about arriving on time, please take some pictures of the changing leaves. I miss them so much! Great job with the blog and I can't wait to read more about your journey! Love you!

    ReplyDelete