Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sweet South Carolina!

So I decided since I was in Charlotte on Friday and had to be back in Raleigh, NC on Sunday afternoon, it would be too much to go all the way home, so I took advantage of that and went to visit Madeleine at Clemson for the weekend! It was so nice to see her and see where she is living now!

When I first got there I literally think we were talking a mile a minute! We had so much to catch up on that we couldn't even stop talking long enough to get out the door to grab something to eat. :) Madeleine took me to this cute little area of town with some really cute shops and nice places to eat. The whole time I was in Clemson I was so overwhelmed by how much of a college town it is! I'm pretty sure I was seeing orange for the next three days! It was really neat to see so much school spirit from not just the people walking around but all the buildings, streets, and decorations everywhere! Madeleine did mention that Friday is "Orange Day" haha could be why I'm still seeing orange! We went to this bar called TD's (I think that's what it was called) and they had fabulous burgers! Also, another way I could tell it was a college town was because the drinks were so extremely cheap!

The next day we slept in and Madeleine made us chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast and frenchpress coffee! Props to the Chef! After breakfast we couldn't think of anything better to do than go shopping of course! We went to the mall that was outside of town and had some great finds! So nice to have a leisurely Saturday spending time with a close friend shopping! It really was a perfect Sat and we were totally stoked about our purchases!

That evening Madeleine took me on campus to show me where she spends her days...in the History Building! I got to see her office and desk area with the other history graduate students. I also got to see a lecture hall where she TA's. It seriously took my breath away....it was so huge!!!!!! I can't imagine having to take a class in that room, especially coming from the R-MC classrooms lol. The room was so big that the professor has to use a microphone for students to be able to hear him. Of course we played around with that! Madeleine also walked me around to show me the library and some of the other undergrad buildings. While there I had a classic R-MC moment...I was very naive about the size of the campus. Madeleine told me she wanted to show me the football field and pointed in the direction of the stadium. Of course I immediately started walking in the direction where she pointed and she quickly stopped me and said, "Haha, no we will have to drive there...this isn't Randolph-Macon's Campus!" I just started laughing! So out of my element!

Once we got to the stadium I was blown away! It was huge! It literally looked like it was touching the sky! She explained to me that the stadium is called "Death Valley" and why Clemson is known for the "Fastest 20 seconds in College Football." That is when the Clemson football team rolls up in the buses (even when its a home game) outside the stadium, right before the game starts, and they all rush the field touching the "Howard Rock", from Death Valley, on their way down to the field. It happens so quickly and hypes up the fans so much that it explains why they call it the fastest 20 seconds in college football.

After Madeleine showed me around campus a bit we went to a history grad department welcome party! We went over to one of the guy's house and watched the Clemson v. Auburn game. It was so nice to meet all of Mad's new friends and the people who are in her department sharing her same passion and love of history. They were all so nice and the food was amazing! I had my first taste of shrimp creole and it was soo yummy! It officially felt like fall with the good food, friends, and football!

I had a wonderful weekend visiting Madeleine and getting to spend some quality time with her. I was really happy I took advantage of this time during travel season to meet up with her because who knows when the first time I would have been able to see her new world otherwise. I can't wait to get back! :) Thanks Madeleine!

This is a pic of the lecture hall. This is only half the room!

Mad infront of the History Building, which you can see used to be the Chemisry building!
Mad's home away from home! The History Building!
Picture of "Death Valley!"
The rock that all the football players touch on their way out to the field
Mad and I at her party!



1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha I can totally see you & Mad playing around in the front of the classroom with the microphone! Makes me smile! I’m so glad that you got a chance to have a fun weekend in the midst of all the business. Sounds like you had a great trip! Can I say it one more time? I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!

    ReplyDelete