Monday, September 27, 2010

From Raleigh to Winston-Salem and Everywhere In-Between!

Well this week I did a lot of travel in the span of three days but if you look at a map it was all fairly close together but I felt like I was all over the place, all week!

On Sunday I started the second week of travel up in Raleigh, NC. I drove from Clemson that morning to get there so it was so it was a bit of a drive. Raleigh isn't quite in my territory but I was picking up a fair for one of the other counselors, and was I glad I did! It was the busiest fair I have ever been too!

I was swamped the entire time! My table was packed and I have never had to replenish my table as often as I had to that day! It was fantastic! I gave out so much information and I talked so much that I was hoarse by the end of the night! It made the fair very interesting and fast pace! I was just glad I didn't run out of materials! I also had a great location right at the entrace to the room so I was the first table people saw when they entered which also helped!


Just to prove how much of a dork I am...and so you can see my table lol Here is my set-up!
 After the fair I headed to Winston-Salem for the night to get ready for a full day of high school visits in the morning. They went very well and I got introduced to some fine schools. After having some cancellations the previous week and not being able to see as many schools as I would have liked I was really looking forward to meeting with more students. In the first day alone I matched the amount of students that I saw last week and it only went up from there! There was one school that had about 20 students ready to meet with me! I was thrilled!

After the visits on Monday, I headed to my last fair of the week which was less than impressive. The polar opposite from the fair the night before! I was very disappointed in the turn out but they can't always be good, right? The one good thing about the trip to the fair was the hotel I stayed in! Being a Hilton Honors member, there are lots of perks and that night I got my first room upgrade!!! Seriously I thought I was a queen! Sky scrapping ceilings with grand curtains, a huge sofa, with a business center, a wet bar (no alcohol, lol), a huge walk in closet with mirrored doors, and what seemed like a larger than life king sized bed! Not to mention they had complimentary popcorn! It really doesn't take much for me!

The rest of the week continued to be a success making my way through Elon and Greensboro. I did take some time for myself by stopping by the huge discount store called "JR's". If you have ever traveled anywhere in North Carolina you have seen the many, oversized signs for JRs. When I was growing up and my family would vacation in Myrtle Beach, we always had to stop by JRs on the way to and from the beach! For some reason it became tradition for us and we always looked forward to it! We would always check out the perfume, procelain dolls and all the other crazy things you can find there. My dad would always stop by the cigar store and pick out the perfect beach cigar to enjoy over vacation.

So when I was close by I just had to stop by and relive all those times! I went and checked out the porcelain dolls, perfume and all the ends and outs. I ended up getting some discount books on CD that I can enjoy on my long drives and I also stopped by the cigar shop just to pick up something special for my dad. I had no idea what I was looking for but luckily the manager was able to help me and turns out the cigars I got are from one of my dad's favorite brands! ...I did well!

I did have to make my way home early in the week because I had to get back to the office to prepare for the first Open House of the year! I was very excited to get back and get all my ducks in a row and I think it turned out to be a very successful Open House! Not to mention it was Family Weekend on campus and the R-MC football team won once again against Frostburg State University, so we are still undefeated with the final score being 48-14!!! Go yellow Jackets!

After the weekend I am back on the road recruiting future yellow jackets!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I LOVE your “dorkiness”! Your table looks great! If I saw your table & heard everything you said about the greatest school in the world, I would want to go there too! Sounds like your hotel room (with popcorn) was awesome! Hope you’re having a great time on the road this week!

    ReplyDelete